Saint James

 Lady Chapel

Navigation   


In 1981, the south transept was made into a side chapel using the altar and communion rails which had formerly been in the Memorial Chapel. The altar was fitted with ‘frontal, riddell and dorsal curtains in English style and raised on one step with additional footpace for the altar’. These hangings were later removed and on Mothering Sunday 2000, the chapel was rededicated as the Lady Chapel in memory of Doreen Trickey. The new reredos was painted by Jacquie Binns in December 1999. The Hill of Calvary in the central panel is flanked by outer panels depicting St Peter, The Blessed Virgin Mary, St John the Baptist and St Luke. The figure of Christ in Majesty is by Jenny Birch.


Christ in Majesty  by Jenny Birch
Christ in Majesty by Jenny Birch

In 1928 a silver crucifix and candlesticks were commissioned from Ellen Woodward, the Bushey artist and silversmith, in memory of Ellen Hudson. Originally this altar set was used in the Memorial Chapel, but was later transferred to the chapel in the south transept. Sadly, the candlesticks were stolen in 1963, but in April 2000, silver plated replacements were made by Peter North of Bushey, who had learned his trade from Miss Woodward when he was a boy and he was able to match the replacements to photographs of the originals. The crucifix is in the art nouveau/art deco style and is inlaid with blue and yellow enamels.


Label Head on left side of arch
Label Head on left side of arch

Label Head on right side of arch
Label Head on right side of arch

Reredos painted by Jacquie Binns
Reredos painted by Jacquie Binns





Altar Rail in memory of Helen and Caroline Cridland 1918/19
Altar Rail in memory of Helen and Caroline Cridland 1918/19