Saint James

 Incumbents

Navigation   
The Old Church
Ministry at St Peterís during its time as a chapel-of-ease was carried out by a succession of assistant priests from St Jamesí Parish Church:

1838 Revd Edmond Strong MA                                              Exeter College, Oxford
1839 Revd Robert Cave Wood Collins MA                           Exeter College, Oxford
1842 Revd Henry Griffin MA                                                   Queens College, Oxford
1843 Revd John Henry Broome                                             Queen's College, Cambridge
1845 Revd Edward Robert Twiss MA                                     University College, Oxford
1847 Revd Henry Milne MA                                                     Brasenose College, Oxford
1854 Revd Robert Thompson Branson MA                           Pembroke College, Oxford
1866 Revd John Lambert Knowles MA                                  Pembroke College, Oxford
1873 Revd Hamilton Llewellyn Gerty DD MA                        Trinity College, Dublin
1884 Revd George Townshend  MA                                      Amherst, Nova Scotia
1885 Revd Thomas Denham Williams  MA                            Jesus College, Oxford
1886 Revd Stewart Sim  MA                                                    Trinity College, Oxford

Very little is known about their ministry, except for brief mentions of three of them. The Revd John Henry Broome was a former Lieutenant in HM 10th Infantry and left St Peter's to become the Vicar of Houghton, Norfolk. He was a fairly prolific author and had several works attributed to him, including " A Word on the Divine Promises as to the Restoration of the Jews to their own Land"; "A Prayer for the House of Israel"; and "The Story of Papal Rome".

 The Revd E R Twiss is remembered in a stone inscription fixed in the bell ringing chamber which reads:

RESURGAM
Sacred to the memory of the Revd Edward Robert Twiss MA
late of University College, Oxford and assistant Minister of
St Peterís Church, Bushey Heath. He departed this life on
the 13th December 1847 in his 30th year.
His mortal remains repose in the new Catacomb under the
Chapel of the Cemetery at Kensal Green
The Revd Branson lived at Sparrows Herne House . Before taking over the curacy of St. Peterís, he was Rector of Testerton in Norfolk. He died on the 8th December 1866 at Havre-des-Pas, Jersey aged 42 and is buried in St. Jamesí church
                                                               The New Church
Revd Spencer Richard Arthur Buller MA - 1889/1896

Born Huntingdon 1852
Ordained Priest 1876
Curate St. Maryís, Bury St. Edmunds 1875/1877
Holy Trinity, Twickenham 1877/1884
Vicar Holy Trinity, Twickenham 1884/1889
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1889/1896
Rector Harpenden 1896/1903
Weybridge 1903/
Rural Dean Emley 1915/1921
Died Weybridge 1925


The Revd Spencer Buller moved from Holy Trinity, Twickenham and was inducted by the Bishop of St Albans as the first vicar of the newly created parish of St Peterís, Bushey Heath on the 19th July 1889. He was the distant cousin of General Sir Redvers Buller who led the British force in the relief of Ladysmith in the Boer War. A keen temperance man and a member of the Church of England Temperance Society, he also held strong views on the importance of the churching of women after childbirth, Ďto render thanks to God for safe deliverance from the grave danger of childbirthí

Due largely to his great drive and initiative, a new chancel was built and consecrated on the 8th June 1891 and a new organ installed less than two years after his induction. Spencer Buller also built the Mission Hall on Police Station Lane, using his own funds, which remained as part of the parish plant until 1968. In June 1896 he announced that he had preached 733 times in church! Perhaps the Bishop overheard for he left soon afterwards to become Rector of Harpenden.

Revd John Llewellyn Pugh Thomas MA 1896/1904
Born Oswestry 1862
College Christchurch, Oxford MA 1894
Ordained Priest 1894
Curate All Saints, Croxley Green 1892/1893
Ewell, Surrey 1894/1896
Vicar St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1896/1904
Aldbury, Much Hadham, Herts. 1904/1919
Rector Oswaldkirk, York 1919/1934
Permission to Officiate - Diocese of York 1934/1935
Permission to Officiate -  Diocese of Guildford 1935/1940
Died Redhill, Surrey 1942
Spencer Buller was succeeded by the second vicar, the Revd J L P Thomas,who was inducted at St Peterís into his first incumbency in 1896, having served two curacies in Croxley Green and Ewell. Probably the two most important events in the district during his reign were the opening of the new Clergy Orphan Corporation School, St Margaretís on Merry Hill Lane in 1897 and the death of one of his most prominent parishioners, Simpson Noakes JP, in the same year. At this time there was a lively curate, the Revd E A Lane (1900-1904) who was deeply involved in the social and community life of the parish and was also responsible for services in the Mission Hall. Both the vicar and curate left in 1904.
Revd Thomas Sadgrove BA 1904/1909

Born Cambridge 1858
College Trinity College, Dublin BA 1891
Ordained Priest 1887
Asst. Master Liverpool College 1884/1887
Curate Eccleston 1886/1889
St. Mary, Plaistow, Essex 1889/1896
Vicar Aldbury, Much Hadham, Herts. 1896/1904
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1904/1909
Rector Fairstead, Essex 1909/1925
Retired Colchester & then Taunton 1925
Died Taunton 1941

The induction of the Revd Thomas Sadgrove as the third vicar took place on the 13th August 1904. He and the previous vicar exchanged parishes, John Pugh Thomas taking over Thomas Sadgroveís parish of Aldbury, Much Hadham. It was during Revd Sadgroveís vicariate that the new vicarage was built on the site now occupied by St Peterís Close. The curate at this time was the Revd J A Mackinney (1905-1909).
Revd Thomas Vernon Garnier MA 1909/1916

Born Mitford 1875
College Trinity College, Oxford BA 1901
Wells College MA 1901
Curate Frodsham 1901/1904
Domestic Chaplain - Bishop of St. Albans 1904/1909
Vicar St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1909/1915
Chaplain to the Forces 1915/1919
Vicar Tring, Herts. 1919/1930
Rector Colkirk w. Oxwich, Norfolk 1930/1939
Died West Looe Cornwall 1939

In 1909 the Reverends Sadgrove and Mackinney left and were succeeded by the Revd Thomas Vernon Garnier, the fourth vicar, with Charles Henry Barker (1909-1913) as curate. Ernest Cobb in his old age was able to recall the vicarís enthusiasm for cricket. Ernest was a choir boy and a member of the church team who played their games on The Warren House private cricket pitch and on practice nights, the Revd Garnier would put a penny on a cricket stump and invite the boys to knock it off bowling from a normal length. The boy who hit the stumps kept the penny. Play ended when the vicarís stock of pennies ran out!

The curate, Charles Barker had a strong interest in music and organised a successful choir at the Mission Hall while the vicar set about raising funds to complete the new church building. His endeavours were rewarded when the new church, designed by architect George Fellows-Prynne, was dedicated on 1 February 1913 by the Bishop of St Albans in the presence of a large congregation and many visiting clergy. In the same year Mr. Barker moved to Chipperfield and the parish was left without a curate for the next 23 years.

Revd Charles Henry Barker MA 1915/1930

Born Kensington 1882
College Sydney Sussex, Cambridge MA 1911
Ordained Priest 1906
Curate St. Bartholomew, East Ham 1905/1908
St. James, Bournemouth 1908/1909
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1909/1913
Vicar Chipperfield, Herts. 1913/1915
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1915/1930
Ill Health 1930/1934
Public Preacher St. Albans Diocese 1934/1936
Vicar Eastbourne 1936/1943
Retired Watford/Bournemouth 1943
Died Bournemouth 1960

In1916 the former curate, the Revd C H Barker, returned as the fifth Vicar of St Peterís and was inducted on 5th February . Upon his return, he continued to indulge his passion for church music and it was during this period that St Peterís reputation for choral music was probably at its greatest. When the Parochial Church Council (Powers) measure was passed by Parliament in 1921, St Peterís moved quickly to elect its new PCC "to cooperate with the incumbent in the church work in the parish". The first task of the council was to pay off an accumulated debt on the new church building and with a generous response to the vicarís appeal for funds, the church was soon free of debt.

Charles Barker then turned his attention to raising money for a new organ and helped by his enthusiasm for church music, his task was completed within two years and a new organ was installed in 1919. And then in 1921/2 he was able to complete two major projects - the installation of the peal of eight bells, a benefaction by Sir David & Lady Rutherford which were dedicated in October 1921 and the building of a Memorial Chapel to the fallen of the Great War, dedicated in February 1922.

The Revd Barkerís health began to fail in the late twenties and in 1930 he was compelled to resign his living, but by 1936 he had recovered sufficiently to assume new responsibilities as vicar of Eastbourne. There was never a curate at St Peterís during the whole period of his incumbency.

Revd George Aiden Kingsford Hervey MA 1931/1934

Born Halifax 1893
College Trinity College, Oxford BA 1916
Cuddlesden MA 1920
Ordained Priest 1923
Curate Ruabon, Clwyd 1922/1924
Woodhouse 1924/1926
Vicar Buttermere 1926/31
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1931/1934
Chaplain Bryanston School, Salisbury 1934/1942
Vicar Gilsland w. Over Denton, Cumb.1942/1946
Rector Gt. Salkeld, Cumberland 1946/1965
Died Penrith 1967

The Revd G A K Hervey ,who moved from Cumberland, became the sixth vicar and was inducted on 6th March 1931. He was a keen teacher and helped many young people to understand the basic truths of the Christian faith. He introduced church tutorial classes and Sunday evening discussion services which drew large congregations. It was no surprise when in 1934 he resigned to become chaplain of Bryanston public school, before returning north in 1942 to resume his church ministry in Cumberland.
Revd Maurice Baldwin Stuart-Fox 1934/1939
Born Reading 1876
College London College of Divinity 1897
Ordained Priest 1900
Curate St. John Evangelist, Penge 1899/1906
Christchurch, Eastbourne 1906/1912
Rector St. Markís, Bexhill 1912/1922
Vicar St. Martin;s, Bedford 1922/1934
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1934/1939
Chaplain St. Margaretís School, Bushey 1939/1944
Retired Torquay
Died Carnden, Midlothian 1958

George Hervey was succeeded as the seventh vicar by the Revd M B Stuart-Fox, who was inducted on 12th October 1934 and came to St Peterís with a long experience of parochial work. He was particularly keen to keep the church finances under control. The congregation and demands on the church were still increasing and so the old Mission Hall was repurchased in 1936 for £500 by the St Albans New District Fund in trust for the Parish of Bushey Heath. With financial assistance from St Jamesí, it was completely refurbished as a place of worship and rededicated on 10th February 1937 under its new name of St Christopherís Hall.

In 1936, the parish was able to engage a curate, the Revd Reginald Pym Lempriere Parkin (1936-1940) who was made responsible for St Christopherís Hall. The late Miss F Cobb (Cobbie) remembered Mr Parkin well and his work with young people. She conducted a young peopleís group at the Hall on Mondays and recalls evening trips to Stanmore Common to listen to the nightingales! The vicar moved a few yards down the road in 1934 to take up an appointment as chaplain at St Margaretís School, Bushey, where he stayed throughout the war, before retiring to Torquay.

Revd Arthur Gerald Sayer MA 1939/1946

Born Paddington, London 1888
College Magdalen College, Oxford BA 1910 Ely Theological College 1911
Ordained Priest 1912
Curate St. Paulís, Swindon 1911/1913
Folkstone 1913/1916
St. Peterís, Bournemouth 1916/1923
Vicar Westend, Southampton 1923/1928
Perm. to Officiate, Diocese of Truro 1928/1929
Curate Lelant, Cornwall 1929/1931
Vicar St. Michael & A.A. Maidstone 1931/1938
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1939/1946
Perm. to Officiate, Truro, Exeter & Winchester 1946/1970
Died Winchester 1971

Parish life during the war years at St Peterís was conducted by the eighth vicar, the Revd Arthur G Sayer, who was inducted on 23rd June 1939 a few weeks before the outbreak of war. His curates were the D J F Rees (1940-1943) and P B Denny from 1943.

During 1940 and 1941 the Revd Sayer enabled the Church to become involved in the war effort! The church tower, being one of the highest points in Hertfordshire, was used by the Home Guard to advise the local ARP, the Rescue and the Fire Services just where bombs were being dropped. A heavy and concentrated air-raid was self-evident, but on most nights single planes would appear, dropping bombs indiscriminately over London and the suburbs. The quickest way to identify the sites of isolated bombs dropped over a wide area of southwest Hertfordshire was by keeping a look-out from the top of St Peterís tower. Their duty was to line up the bearing of the flash, count the seconds to hearing the explosion and then telephone the news to ARP HQ (a special line had been laid on) so that the necessary forces could be deployed accordingly.

Having guided the parish through the war years, the vicar left in 1946, St Peterís being his last parochial appointment.

Revd William George Eeles BA 1946/1960

Born Barton Regis, Bristol 1895
College Mirfield College 1913
University of Leeds BA 1920
Ordained Priest 1923
Curate St. Chadís. Manningham. 1922/1924
St. Mary, Bideford 1924/1930
Rector Braxted 1930/1934
Vicar St. Peterís, Mill End 1934/1946
St. Thomas, West Hyde. 1940/1946
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1946/1960
Died Montpellier, France 1961

William George Eeles entered the College of the Resurrection, Mirfield in 1913, only to have his training interrupted by the outbreak of war. He enlisted and received a commission. At the end of hostilities he returned to Mirfield and read for his degree at Leeds University from where he graduated in 1920. After his ordination he served his title in the Diocese of Bradford, before moving south. After a six year curacy in Bideford followed by four years in his first incumbency as Rector of Braxted, Essex, he then spent the next twelve years looking after two parishes near Rickmansworth - Mill End and West Hyde.

Immediately after the second world war, he was installed as the ninth vicar of St Peterís on 22nd November 1946 and served for the next 14 years. He and his wife were perhaps the last of the old style Anglicans who presided over church and community in a benevolent, kindly and enthusiastic way. A little unconventional and perhaps somewhat erratic at times, George Eeles never lost that pastoral touch which had characterised his ministry from the beginning. His obituary from the Parish Chronicle of his previous Mill End parish probably best describes the man " Many a family in trouble will have appreciated his kindly word of sympathy and understanding and his deep knowledge of the frailties of human life . It is a tribute to his ministry that so frequently he was called to help people whom he had known in former years to whom he was able , by tender compassion, to exercise both a personal and a pastoral ministry"

At Bushey Heath, both he and his wife worked hard at pastoral care and encouraged church societies. They were much loved and although changes were in the air one could be forgiven for thinking that so long as the Eeles family remained the status quo would continue. In 1960 he was offered a chaplaincy in Marseilles but sadly died a year later on 23rd July 1961. George Eeles has his memorial in the set of silver/ gilt cross and candlesticks now in the Memorial Chapel. His curate from 1955 was the Revd Harold D Jones.

Canon Philip Henry Cecil BD 1960/1963

Born Ecclesall, Sheffield 1918
College University of London BD 1940
Kings College, London
Wescott House, Cambridge
Curate Leeds Parish Church 1941/1945
Precentor Durham Cathedral 1945/1948
Rector St. Johnís, Belize, Honduras 1948/1952
St. Luke, Old Street 1952/1954
Wormley 1956/1960
Commissary Trinidad 1952/1960
Vicar St. Peterís. Bushey Heath 1960/1963
Principal Bishopís College, Cheshunt 1963/1967
Vicar Potten w. Cockayne Hatley 1967/1972
Resident Canon & Treasurer, Peterborough Dioc. 1971/1977
Died Peterborough 1977

After graduating from London University, the Revd Philip Cecil spent several years on missionary work in Central America and the Caribbean before his induction on 22nd November 1960 as the tenth vicar of St Peterís upon the departure of George Eeles. He stayed only three years. During this time he suffered the strain of family illness but he worked hard in the parish. His gentle manner and soft tone concealed a deep thinker and a man of some charisma. His appeal, for instance, on behalf of the victims of the Honduras earthquake (where he had served as a missionary) raised over £100 (good money in those days) in less than two hours.

He is remembered as a man with a sympathetic tolerance towards those who had doubts about their faith. Philip left in the summer of 1963 to become principal of Bishopís College, Cheshunt. The curates in those days were Harold D Jones (1955 - 1961) and Ronald F Cottingham (1961-1964) who each left to take charge ofí a parish.

Canon Myles Kenneth Raikes MA 1963/1970

Born Newport, Mon. 1923
College New College , Oxford MA 1951
Wells Theological College 1947
Curate St.Maryís Cathedral, Chelsmford 1949/1951
St. John, Stratford 1951/1953
Hockerill 1953/1955
Chaplain Herts & Essex General Hospital 1956/1963
Vicar St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1963/1970
Rector Digswell, Welwyn, Herts. 1970/1977
Hon. Canon of St Albans in 1976
Priest in Charge Meare, Bath & Wells 1977/1981
Coker 1981/1983
Diocesan Ecumenical Officer, Bath & Wells 1984/1988
Hon.Curate Petherton w. Seavington 1985/1988

The Revd Myles Raikes was appointed the eleventh vicar and was inducted on the 11th November 1963 and his arrival with Joan and their family heralded a time of change for St Peterís. Myles Raikes moved quickly to involve more lay people to take an active part in the Eucharist, including administering the chalice, taking the intercessions, reading the lessons and presenting the elements at the offertory. The new vicar also saw the need to encourage regular giving of time, talents and money and fostered these aims of Christian Stewardship, which had been introduced with much goodwill just before his arrival with a dinner for more than 150 of St Peterís congregation in Watford Town Hall.

The sixties saw the abandonment of much of the Church of Englandís traditional form of worship, particularly the Book of Common Prayer. Alternative rites, Series 1, 2 and 3, were introduced and new translations of the Bible in various forms of modern English became best sellers. All this meant abandoning the classic and poetical language of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries in favour of the language used in Church Times editorials - clear but dull! Another feature of the modernist approach at this time was the introduction of a Nave Altar, with the celebrant behind the altar facing west instead of east. This involved the relegation of the High Altar to chapel status and in St Peterís it was hidden behind a curtain. As can be imagined, this change generated considerable heat among the rank and file and there were some very lively meetings of the PCC followed by a rebellious parish meeting. However , the vicarís opinion prevailed and the Nave Altar was installed.

The curates during this period were Robert W Dray (1964 - 1968) and James M Grindell (1968 - 1972). Both lived at Colne View in Elstree Road with their families. Bob left to take over the new parish of Marsh Farm on an industrial estate near Luton. James Grindell was essentially a teacher and continued the work in the Tuesday school and Youth Club. He left to become priest-in-charge of St Michael and All Angels, Exeter, a job which included headship of St Wilfrid's School and chaplaincy of the Community of St Wilfrid.

Myles Raikes left in 1970 to take up an appointment as Rector of Digswell, Herts.

The Venerable George Bernard Austin BA 1970/1988

Born Bury, Lancashire 1931
College St.Davidís College, Lampeter BA 1953
Chichester Theological College 1953
Ordained Priest 1956
Curate St. Peters, Chorley 1955/1957
St. Clements, Nottingdale 1957/1960
Asst. Chaplain University of London 1960/1961
Curate Dunstable 1961/1964
Vicar Eaton Bray, Beds. 1964/1970
St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1970/1988
Archdeacon York 1988/2000
Retired  2000

The Revd (later Canon) George Austin was inducted as the twelfth vicar of St Peterís on 29th June 1970 and arrived with his wife Bobbie and baby son Jeremy just in time to see the end of the old vicarage and to move into a new vicarage across the road. Whilst Myles Raikes put great emphasis on changing the forms of worship and on lay involvement in the church, George Austin steered his flock more towards examining and understanding their faith. He pursued this through teaching in sermons, Lent courses, other short courses and by bringing to St Peterís a wide variety of preachers from Free Church to Roman Catholic. In 1984 Bill White, a Lutheran priest from the USA, directed a lively series of talks and discussions which presented a new and encouraging view of the Christian Faith.

Soon after his arrival, George Austin encouraged the setting up of house groups, and very quickly there were at least ten in operation. . The work of the PCC under George Austin was facilitated by the use of small specialist committees to deal with matters such as finance, plant and building, stewardship, the churchís mission, youth activities, baptism and other aspects of church life.

As a member of the General Synod and of its Standing Committee, a Church Commissioner and a member of the Central Board of Finance, a considerable amount of George Austinís time was taken up outside the parish. However, this experience would prove invaluable at a later stage in his life after leaving St Peterís. He also developed an interest in ecumenical affairs, being involved for a number of years with international Anglican/Lutheran relations. He served as Church of England delegate to the British Council of Churches Assembly and in 1983, to the World Council of Churches Assembly in Vancouver. In addition, he broadcast regularly, mainly on Radio 4 and the BBC World Service.

After some seventeen years as vicar of St Peterís, Canon George Austin was approached by the Archbishop of York to fill a vacancy for Archdeacon at the cathedral which he eventually accepted and was instituted in November 1988. He served in this capacity for the next twelve years before retiring to Wheldrake, near York.  In 2010 he returned, with his wife Bobby, to settle in Bushey Heath.

After James Grindell left in 1972, St Peterís had two further curates. The Revd Philip J W Buckler (1972-1975) was particularly good in his work with young people and in the house groups and soon made his mark in the parish. He stayed for three years before leaving to become a college chaplain at Cambridge and then vicar of Hampstead. He later moved on to take up an appointment as Resident Canon at St. Paulís Cathedral. He was followed by the Revd Philip Sladen (1975-1977), the last full time curate at St Peterís, who left in 1977 to become an RAF chaplain.

Revd William Roberson Low MA 1988/2003

Born Walton-on-Thames,Surrey 1950
College Pembroke, Cambridge BA 1973
Westcott House,Cambridge MA 1977
Ordained Priest 1980
Curate Poplar 1979/1983
Chaplain St. Albanís Abbey 1983/1988
Vicar St. Peterís, Bushey Heath 1988/2003
Resigned Moved to Cornwall 2003

The thirteenth vicar, the Revd Robbie Low, moved into St Peterís vicarage in 1988 with his wife Sara and three young children and was inducted by the Bishop of St Albans on the 9th December 1988. Sara was much involved in church activities, both locally and nationally and was eventually elected the St Albans Diocesan representative on General Synod.

Following the Act of Synod in 1992, St Peterís PCC opted to adopt Resolutions A,B and C, involving Episcopal oversight by the Bishop of Richborough. St Peterís became a member of Forward in Faith, the orthodox Anglican constituency, but always welcomed Christians of all shades of opinion.

During his incumbency, Robbie Low provided services to cover for a wide range of churchmanship, including the use of the Book of Common Prayer, a modern rite based on the ASB, a monthly Family Service in the modern idiom and a monthly Choral Evensong. He extended his ministry to embrace the nursing and other care homes in the parish as well as conducting weekly services at the Church Army chapel and introduced lay involvement in the Healing Ministry, House Groups, Bible Study, Healing Prayer Groups and Alpha courses. Without such help, his job as parish priest, devoid of any other ministerial assistance, would have been almost impossible. The annual Retreat, held each Spring at St Francis House, Hemingford Grey was introduced by the vicar very early in his incumbency.

The lack of a full time curate was alleviated somewhat in January 2001,when the Revd Geoffrey Neal, the erstwhile vicar of Houghton Regis, returned from a six year spell in the United States and agreed to act as assistant priest at St Peterís for one third of his time. As Area Dean for Forward in Faith and a popular, caring priest this arrangement worked very well.

Robbieís wife Sara is a lady of many gifts. In addition to her unstinting work in many aspects of parish life, including founding the Womenís Fellowship, resurrecting the junior Youth Club and masterminding the Christmas Charity Fair, she also founded and edited ĎNew Directionsí from 1993. This magazine became the leading traditional publication and is read all over the English speaking world. Through Saraís editing and Robbieís writing they became major figures in the movement for a return to orthodoxy in the Anglican Church.

Robbie Lowís time at St Peterís came to an end on St Peterís day, 29th June 2003, when he resigned his living to return to his native Cornwall.

Robbie and Sara were received into the Roman Catholic Church and run Fowey Retreat.  Robbie was subsequently ordained as a Roman Catholic priest and serves at St. Mary and St. Petroc, Bodmin in the Deanery of Cornwall.


                               The Revd Stuart Seaton MA

Born      St Albans, Herts      1975
College  Durham University 1993/1996
                Mirfield College     1997/1999
                Leeds University    1997/1999
Ordained Priest                      2000
Curate    St Mary Magdalene, Welwyn 1999/2002
Asst Chaplain Aldenham School 2003/2004
Vicar    St Peter's, Bushey Heath 2004/2007


After an interregnum of a year, the Revd Stuart Seaton was inducted as the fourteenth - and youngest - vicar of St Peter's on 15th June 2004 by the Bishop of St Albans and the Bishop of Richborough. A graduate and organ scholar of Durham University, trained for the priesthood at the College of the Resurrection, Mirfield, Fr Stuart continued to take the Church along the path so clearly marked by Fr Robbie Low - although not walking exactly in his footsteps!

The parish took the opportunity during the interregnum to completely redecorate the vicarage in anticipation of the appointment of a new vicar.Fr Stuart and his wife Hilary, previously a planning officer with Hertsmere Borough Council, took up residence at Easter 2004 in advance of the June induction as Hilary was expecting their first child in May. Gregory Peter Seaton was born at 1.48pm on the 19th May 2004 and so once again the parish was blessed with a young vicar with a new young family residing in the vicarage.

During his time at St Peter's, he completed the introduction of Common Worship and took a great interest in the Parish youth organisation.  His musical talent was particularly appreciated by the congregation especially his ability to play the newly installed organ. 

The incumbency of Stuart Seaton spanned a fairly tumultuous period in the history of the Church of England and we were sad to say farewell to him in February 2007 when he decided to leave the Church of England and become a Roman Catholic. 

Rev Andrew Burton BA SSC

Born      Lichfield Staffs                       1963
College St Katherine's Liverpool BA 1984
               Cranmer Hall, Durham        1986/88
Ordained Deacon                               1988
Ordained Priest                                  1989
Curate  Holy Spirit, Harlescott          1988/91
Curate  Holy Trinity, Blacon               1991/94
Priest in charge St James the Great,
                             Congleton              1994/01
Vicar  Calton, Cauldon, Grindon
           Waterfall and Blore Ray with
           Oakover                                   2001/07
Vicar  St Peter's Bushey Heath        2008/

The Reverend Andrew Burton became the fifteenth vicar of St. Peterís on 16th January 2008. He was collated by the Bishop of St. Albans during a service at which the preacher was the Bishop of Richborough.

 

Born in Lichfield, Staffordshire in 1963, Fr. Andrew read theology at St. Katharineís College, Liverpool before training for the priesthood at Cranmer Hall, Durham. Whilst in the north-east he was able to indulge his devotion to the northern saints whilst developing his interest in New Testament studies.

 

Following ordination to the diaconate at Lichfield Cathedral in 1988, Fr. Andrew served his title at The Church of the Holy Spirit, Harlescott in Shrewsbury. He was ordained to the priesthood in 1989 and served in the parish until his move to Holy Trinity, Blacon in 1991. During this time he developed an interest in the healing ministry of the church which he was able to continue when he moved to St. James the Great, Congleton as priest-in-charge in 1994. Whilst in Congleton Fr. Andrew served as chaplain to the Council of St. John Ambulance in Cheshire.

 

In 2001 Fr. Andrew moved to the rural benefice of Calton, Cauldon, Grindon, Waterfall and Blore Ray with Okeover in the Staffordshire Moorlands. From 2003 he was also Rural Dean of Alstonefield.

 

Fr. Andrew is a member of the Society of the Holy Cross, the Guild of All Souls, a Priest Associate of the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham and also a Serving Brother of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem. He is married to Fiona and they have two sons, James and William.