The East Window was designed and made by Bell & Beckham of London and is reputedly included on page 12 of their catalogue (although we have never seen a copy). It was Mr Beckham who had executed the paintings in the reredos and both pieces were obviously designed to compliment each other. The window was cleaned in 2002 and found to be in urgent need of re-leading. This major work was carried out in the last quarter of 2003 by Chapel Studios of Kings Langley, the window being removed to their premises and replaced with temporary translucent material. Some work to repair cracks in the stone arch and tracery was undertaken at the same time which took the total cost of the restoration to £24,000.
Following recommendations from Chapel Studios, it was decided to clean and restore the West Window in the summer of 2002. Apparently during the last war a protective film had been applied and had never been removed. Much of it had peeled off, and the remainder was black and grimy. After several weeks work and the removal of the scaffolding, the true splendour was revealed of this masterpiece by Henry Holiday RA (1839 – 1927), the great pre-Raphaelite stained glass artist.
Holiday was a friend and pupil of Edward Burne-Jones from whom he learned his craft. He was an artist of some distinction, exhibiting regularly at the Royal Academy from about 1858 and is probably best known for his painting Dante and Beatrice which is now in the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool. A man of many talents, his stained glass work includes the Brunel Memorial Window in Westminster Abbey, windows in Trinity College, Cambridge, windows in the Grace Cathedral in New York, and windows in Salisbury, Southwark and Brechin Cathedrals. He paid regular visits to the Lake District where in 1907 he built a country home – Betty Fold – at Hawkshead near Ambleside and many examples of his work can be found in churches in the surrounding area.
The following dedication appears along the bottom of the window:
“To the Glory of God and in Loving Memory of Basil Perrin Hicks Lieut. 8th Berkshire Regt who gave his life at Loos Sept 25 1915 aged 22.”
A new two light window depicting the Blessed Sacrament was installed at St. Peter’s in 2016 in memory of Peter and Pauline Edwards who had worshipped at the church for many years. The window was designed by Chapel Studios of Hunton Bridge. In the left hand light it depicts a eucharistic host and chalice with wheat and grapes after the tradition of the Synoptic Gospels. In the right hand light it depicts loaves and fishes after the Johannine tradition. The designs are set in various shades of green and yellow, the appearance of which alter with the prevailing light conditions, giving a remarkable sense of depth and life. Each light is surrounded by red and blue tracery which contrasts with the other colours in the window, but is in sympathy with other works in the church.